Muutamaan
kertaa ohjaajani pyysi minua hakemaan A:ta tai B:tä, jotka löytyvät paikasta X
aivan siinä Y:n vieressä tai työnsi lääkekaapin avaimet käteen pyytäen katsomaan,
paljonko potilaalle menee mitäkin kipulääkettä. Ihan hukassa palloilin pitkin
osastoa, mutta päivän päätteeksi sain palautetta, että olin ollut korvaamaton
apu. Lounastauolta palatessani ohjaajani tuli minua käytävällä vastaan ja kysyi
ohi mennessään, että olenko sekoittanut antibiootteja ennen. Tunnustin ja hän osoitti
erääseen huoneeseen ja sanoi, että siellä on pöydällä kaikki valmiina. Siellä
tosiaan oli kaikki valmiina, ei tarvinnut muuta kuin alkaa laimentamaan. Toisaalta
hieman törkeää, mutta toisaalta oikein ihanan virkistävää, kun saa oman
osaamisensa puitteissa tehdä oikeasti jotain. Muutoinhan en olisi tehnyt sitä,
tietenkään. Mutta en siis todellakaan valita!
On
muuten tuolla osastolla tuo tietosuojakäsitys hieman erilainen kuin Suomessa.
Kansioita on siellä täällä hujan hajan auki ja kärryt, joissa potilaspapereita
säilytetään, löytyy käytävältä – eikä siinä siis ole lukkoa. Mutta tänään näin
yhden hoitajan pesevän kätensä! Takapuolen pesu- ja rasvausoperaation jälkeen,
joka oli suoritettu ilman hanskoja. Minun mielestäni siis käsienpesu oli hyvinkin
ymmärrettävissä…
Nyt
väsyttää niin, että aivoja särkee. Huomenna olisi vielä jaksettava yksi pitkä
päivä ja sitten alkaa viikonloppu ja pääsen Lontooseen!
~*~*~*~
Another
long shift at the placement done so 25 hours done this week already. Today was a
very busy day. I mostly monitored the patients' vital signs. The day
went by very quickly but I must admit that I didn't really like it when my
mentor left me alone with the doctor to listen to the patient’s care plans
while she went to handover the work to the next shift. Language barrier hit me
as the doctor started talking about intravenous medication. I usually don’t
understand all that Latin in Finnish either. But man, did the doctor have such
lovely, brown curls! I barely could restrain myself from touching his hair.
A couple of times my mentor asked me
to get her A or B from place X which is right next to Y or gave me the keys to
the medicine cupboard asking me to check how much and which painkiller the
patient has been described. Completely lost I just kept walking up and down the
ward but at the end of the day I got a feedback that I had been a priceless
help. After my lunch break my mentor passed me by in the corridor and asked me
if I had ever diluted antibiotics. I admitted and she pointed at the room next
to us and told me that everything was ready on the table. Everything really was
ready and I only had to start mixing. It was slightly rude but on the other
hand it was so refreshing that I can actually do something I know it’s within
my own limits. Otherwise I would not have done it, obviously. But really I am
not complaining!
The privacy protection is a term that’s
understood slightly differently here than it is in Finland. The patient files
are here and there and everywhere and the trolley where they keep the files are
stored in the corridor – and there are no locks. But today I did see a nurse
washing her hands! It was after cleaning and applying lotion on a behind which
was done without gloves. So I’d say washing hands was quite understandable…
I’m so tired by brain’s aching. I
should last tomorrow’s long shift but then begins my weekend and I get to leave
for London!
No comments:
Post a Comment